This easy braided bun hairstyle tutorial gives you a quick and chic updo. The trick is creating a chunky braid.
The braid that forms this bun one of my easy go-to looks. Instead of creating an intricate and detailed braid, this is a thick braid with only three added sections. You start with a big section and add in the rest of your hair in three equal parts.
This type of chunky braid is perfect for wet hair. Instead of getting tangled with wet hair, this thick braid is easy to style and will create beautiful waves in your hair as it dries.
Easy braided bun hairstyle tutorial
What you need:
- Small hair elastic
- Bobby pins
- Make this braid big. Take a large section of hair from the top of your head and split it into three.
- Create a Dutch braid down the back of your head. A Dutch braid is the reverse of a French braid, also known as an inside-out braid. Cross the left section under the middle, then the right under the left.
- Add the rest of your hair to the braid in three sections. This isn’t a small braid with lots of sections, it’s a big chunky braid. On the next section crossing under, add in a third of the rest of your hair. Repeat on the next two sections so all of your hair is combined in the braid. Continue in a regular braid and secure the end of your hair with an elastic.
- Curve the end of your braid around to form the bun. Tuck the ends of your hair in and pin around the edges of the braid to hold it in place.
- You could just wear this basic braid instead of the bun. It’s one of my fave quick braids for my everyday hair (#HReverydayhair). It’s so much quicker to because you add all your hair in three sections.
- If you have fine hair, stretch out your braid before creating the bun. Pull gently at the sides of your braid to widen it and make your hair look thicker.
- Always use a clear elastic or one that matches your hair colour. If you look below, my hair band is still visible but it blends with my hair so it’s disguised in the finished style. If you use a thick or brightly coloured elastic it will stand out.
Let me know if you try this in your hair – wet or dry! I love seeing photos of you with Hair Romance hairstyles. You can tag me on instagram #hairromance or share your daily hairstyles with #HReverydayhair.
Have fun with your hair!
PS. If you love braids, check out my 30 Braids in 30 Days ebook.