If you have to wear your hair up for work, this simple braid tutorial will lift your hair game.
I used to wear my hair up every day for work. That’s how I came up with so many different upstyles. My colleagues would ask me every day how I did my hair. My ebook 30 Buns in 30 Days has buns hairstyle tutorials for all occasions. It’s my solution to fix any bad hair day.
If you are wearing a basic bun, why not switch it up by adding this simple braided detail. It will only add an extra minute to your morning routine but make you feel a lot more polished.
Simple braid tutorial – Easy braided bun hairstyle tutorial
What you need:
- Bobby pins
- 2 hair elastics (optional)
- Separate out a section at the front of your hair for the braid. I’ve taken a large section from the top of my head and to my left temple.
- Create a low bun at the nape of your neck. Gather the rest of your hair into a low ponytail. You can use a hair elastic to hold your ponytail before twisting your hair around into a neat bun. Pin your bun in place with bobby pins.
- Back to the section at the front to start your braid. Split it into three equal sections and create a basic braid (plait). Cross the right over the middle, then the left over the right. Continue crossing sections over until your reach the end.
- Stretch out your braid! This is so important. Before securing the end of your braid, gently pull at the sides of each section to widen your braid. You can use a small elastic to secure the end of your braid if you need to.
- Place the braid around your bun. Curve the braid around your bun and pin the braid in place. Tuck in any loose layers and you’re ready to go!
- The larger the section, the bigger your braid. Remember you must stretch the braid out, especially if you have fine hair. It makes such a difference and makes your hair look so much thicker.
- For a bigger bun, use a hair donut. If you have fine hair, you’ll love this extra trick.
- If you have frizz or flyaways, use hairspray to hold your hair. This is a great trick for baby hair.
I hope you liked this simple braid tutorial and I’d love to see a pic if you try it in your hair. You can find me over on instagram, I’m @hairromance and use #hairromance to share your hair photos.
Do you have to wear your hair up for work? What’s your go-to hairstyle in the morning?