Hairstyle how to: Create a 1960s style ponytail

1960s hairstyles are a huge trend. From loose Bardot bouffants, to the perfectly crafted Mad Men hairstyles, take a look back at the 1960s fashions for your next hairstyle.

This easy ponytail hairstyle is influenced by the loose hairstyles Brigitte Bardot wore. The 1960s shape is created by teasing at the crown and keeping the ponytail low and a little messy.

What you need:

• Depending on your hair type. you will need some product to help keep this volume in your hair. I usually recommend a volumiser or mousse in towel dried hair and blow dry your hair with a round brush to create volume, with a little curl at the ends of your hair.
  • Comb
  • Hair elastic
  • Bobby pins
  • Hairspray

How to create a 1960s style ponytail

Step by step

It’s important to start with a good base. Freshly washed hair that has been blowdried for volume as described above. If your hair is wavy or curly, second day hair will also hold this style well.

1-2 – Tease at the crown. Create that volume and shape by teasing your hair at the crown of your head. Add a little hairspray if you need extra hold.

3 – Make a low ponytail. Gather all your hair into a low ponytail, but don’t pull the hair tightly at the top so you keep as much volume and shape in the crown area.

4 – Loosen the top section for more volume. Gently pull at the top of your ponytail to loosen the hair from the top section. It’s all about keeping volume in the crown and creating that 1960s shape.

5 – Smooth the top with a comb. Using either a bristle brush or comb, smooth over the top section to create a rounder shape.

6-7 – Hide your hair elastic with a piece of hair. Take a small piece of hair from the base of your ponytail and wrap it around your hair elastic to cover it. Pin the end underneath with a bobby pin.

8 – You’re done! A quick spritz of hairspray will keep the style in place, though I like it a little messy just like Brigitte Bardot.

Who doesn’t love a simple ponytail, and this beehive-esque crown fits the 1960s trend perfectly.

I’ll be wearing this hairstyle with a midi skirt or vintage dress during the week, and with a breton top and jeans on the weekend. How do you like to wear your ponytail?

Comments

Thanks Lecinda! You can always add a small clip in extension to make more substantial ponytail, or make a small chignon at the nape of your neck

1. says

Oooohhh too cute! I love your website, it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for! Can you give tips to pixie hair too one day? I keep wanting to pull of a vintage look but keep going back to Jean Seberg! I want more variety!!

Nora

2. Issy says

Brilliant! Thank you so much for this tutorial series, i use your 30 days styles at work often and always get compliments!

Now I just need to perfect my back combing technique to get decent volume – any tips? My hair is prone to fall flat, even with the application of hair spray to the teased portion.

I’m also curious as to how you pin the hair wrapped around the ponytail, when I do it it always seems to show. Yours is always so perfectly hidden :)

Thanks Issy! I’m planning some posts about backcombing so stay tuned for more tips. As for pinning the hair, I’ll write about that too, but a quick tip is that I put the bobby pin on the end of the section of hair first. That way I know I have a good hold on that hair that will wrap around the hair band, then I just wind it around and push the pin into the hair band to hold it. I think it might need a video to best explain it.

Thanks Melody! You can always add in a small extension piece to make a longer ponytail,, or make a small chignon at the nape of your neck. That would work with shoulder length hair

3. says

This is one of my fave go-to hair styles! Except, with my naturally-curly/wavy, fine, long hair, I tease my hair a LOT. And the back of my hair never looks quite that smooth and perfect once I pull the back section up from the pony-tail… Alas, it’s waaaay cuter than a normal pony, and it does the trick when I’m in a pinch!
    m j recently posted..coconut muffin recipeMy Profile

Thanks m j! I think it’s going to be one of my every day favourites too! Maybe using a bristle brush instead of a comb would smooth the top out better for you?

4. Cool102Girl says

Wow these are amazing but on the other hand I would defiantly love to see some more as I am being tested on a dance and I am doing the song “please please me.” By the beetles and that is 1960’s so I need hairstyles! I hope my comment has helped you on your search!

Best regards Cool102Girl : – )