Hairstyle tutorial: Easy braided headband

Another new hairstyle tutorial for you this week – an easy braided headband.

Actually, this hairstyle should be called a plaited headband. Now I know there is a little bit of confusion between Australian/British/American English as to what is a plait and what is a braid. Often the terms are used interchangeably, but to me a plait is the hair woven as in this tutorial. A braid has extra sections of hair added in as you weave the hair, which can also be referred to as a French braid.

What you need:

• Two small clear hair elastics
  • Bobby pins

How to create a braided headband

Step by step

1 – Plait a section of hair above your left ear. Take a small section of hair, plait it and secure the end with a small clear elastic. Pull at the plait to loosen it and fatten it out.

2 – Plait a section of hair above your right ear. Repeat step 1 on the other side, and again loosen the plait. If you start pulling the plait just above the hair elastic and work back up you can really enhance the shape of the plait.

3-4 – Put the right side plait across the top of your head and pin in place. I find if you put the bobby pin ove the hair elastic it holds better.

5 – Cross the left hand plait over the other plait and pin in place. Tuck the ends of the plaits underneath to hide them.

6 – You’re done! You also could curl the rest of your hair and leave it out, or tie it back in a loose bun.

I have a lot of layers in my hair so the plaits don’t reach all the way across my head. If you have long hair you may only need to do this on one side to achieve a full braided headband.

This is such an easy hairstyle and it’s a great way to keep your fringe off your face. It’s perfect if you’re growing out your fringe too.

Comments

1. Cindy L. says

This is pretty, but last time I did that I had all these annoying fly-aways on top of my head sticking out of the braid. Do you know what I could do to avoid that?

Hi Cindy, If you curl the ends of your hair under before you start to braid they stay in better. Also a serum can help hold all your flyaways in place. Apply to the midlengths/ends of your hair before you start to braid.

2. says

I love this headband braid! The other ones I have seen always take hair right from the face and when I fold my braids over they always look messy at the bottom. But, with “hiding” the bottom of the braids in this one…I might be able to pull it off!
    Jessica recently posted..List of OdditiesMy Profile

Thanks Jessica! You can start the plait wherever sits best for your hair, and where your layers are longer too. That’s why mine is so hidden as I have a lof of shorter layers on top.

3. Mary Anne says

This is so cute! Thank you for your awesome demonstrations. I love braiding and doing cool up-do’s. I love your curls in your profile pic, are you naturally curly, or straight?

Thanks Mary Anne! My hair is naturally curly and I have used some curl products and a diffuser to get them looking big and not as frizzy as they naturally are!

4. Lauren says

I love this look & your website- you make everything so easy to follow! One question, what would you suggest someone with bangs do if they’re doing the braided headband?

Hi Lauren, Thank you! With bangs you could leave them loose at the front, or to brush them back and pin them under the braided headband. This style looks great either way x

5. Jessie says

This is so adorable!! Does it look good with an updo as well? I live in a warm-weather clime and I have a /lot/ of hair, so I usually end up pulling it back into a bun.

6. Melody says

Not as easy as it looks. I’ve been working on it all afternoon and I still can’t pin them on top of my head without be bulges around my ear that the rest of my hair just won’t cover.

Hi Melody, maybe try taking a smaller section of hair for the braid? That way when you make the headband there isn’t as much hair to pin near your ear. If you’re still finding that it bulges, you can use a bobby pin behind your ear to pin in down. Hope this helps x