Short Cut Saturday – Vidal Sassoon Signature Styles

by Hair Romance on June 2, 2012 · 6 comments

in Short Hair

Vidal Sassoon is often called the founder of modern hairdressing.

If you’ve ever had a graduated bob, your hairdresser would have learnt the Vidal Sassoon techniques. He was the first of the “celebrity” hairdressers and really changed the entire hairdressing industry. Even the layout of modern salons owes a due to Sassoon and his Bahaus-influenced style.

Vidal Sassoon was reportedly paid $5000 to fly to Los Angeles to cut Mia Farrow’s hair for the film Rosemary’s Baby. Mia’s haircut was iconic and has inspired countless other styles, including Michelle Williams and Carey Mulligan’s short crops.

This is just a snapshot of the styles Sassoon became famous for. In a time of super shellac sprayed beehives, Sassoon made it all about the hair.

As I say, a haircut changed my life and it was the same for Vidal Sassoon.

Have you ever had a Sassoon styled short cut? Or has a haircut ever changed your life?

Julia June 2, 2012 at 7:40 pm

True, she looks so modern. I bet she is an inspiration for masses nowadays.
Julia recently posted..Chocolate adorned with fern!My Profile

Lena June 3, 2012 at 2:07 am

I had a bob like this in the middle. Many of my friends said that this hairstyle suits me. Now I have long hair, but sometimes I want to get short hairstyle.
Lena recently posted..23 Short Sultry Styles For 2012: Short Hair Can Be Sexy TooMy Profile

jen June 3, 2012 at 4:55 am

yay, so glad you brought back short cut saturday :-) could you possibly post any tutorials for how to do like small accent braids or twists or curls or anything to dress up a short bob style cut? thanks :-) I totally <3 your site!

Hair Romance June 3, 2012 at 6:55 am

Thanks Jen! Great idea. Will look for some hairspiration pics and try and find a hair model to play with too x

Emily Woodhouse June 3, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hats off to Vidal Sassoon. You are the pioneer.
Emily Woodhouse recently posted..RedXMy Profile

Grace Sevilly June 7, 2012 at 5:50 am

I used to remember a time when Vidal Sassoon magazines lay everywhere on salons, and I point to the hairdresser the style that I want. Nothing beats vintage vidal sassoon!