Hairstyle for curly hair: Dutch braid tutorial

by Hair Romance on February 21, 2013 · 23 comments

in Curly Hair,Tutorials

Hair Romance - Dutch Braided hairstyle for curly hair

Hair Romance - Dutch Braided updo for curly hair

Dutch braids are my favorite braid for curly hair. This hairstyle suits curl hair as the braid sits in reverse, and works well with textured hair.

I’m often asked why I straighten my hair for tutorials, and it’s just because I find it easier to shoot the step-by-step. It’s clearer to see what’s happening with straight hair. That doesn’t mean that the styles I post don’t look great in curly hair, and some look even better with added curl.

You’ve asked for more curly hair tutorials, so here is my Dutch braided upstyle that’s perfect for days when you need to put your hair up for school or work. It’s also great for those super humid days when your curls are going crazy and you need your hair off your neck.

Hairstyle for curly hair: Dutch braid tutorial

Hair Romance - Dutch Braided updo tutorial for curly hair

This hairstyle can be done in wet or dry hair, and looks great in second (or third!) day curls. It’s best for medium to long hair. If you have very long hair, it may be harder to twist around into the bun at the end. Try creating a larger bun, or leave your hair out in a side braid.

Step-by-Step

1. Start by taking a section of hair at the front of your head. I usually take a section from my natural part across to the end of my left eyebrow. Split this section in to three equal sections.
  2. Begin a Dutch braid. This is the reverse of a French braid. Take the left section under the middle, and the right section under the left. Add in a small section of hair to the middle piece and bring that under the right section.
  3. Continue braiding down the back of your head, adding in small sections of hair as you go. Always bring the hair underneath so that your braid sits on top of your hair.
  4. Take a slight diagonal angle with your braid from the top left of your head to the bottom right. Once you reach the end of your hair, finish in a reverse braid and secure the end of your hair with a clear elastic.
  5. Stretch out your braid to emphasize the shape of your hair. Gently pull at the sides of the braid to loosen it. This will make your hair look thicker.
  6. Twist the end of your braid up and around to form a bun. Pin in place with bobby pins.

Styling Tips

Don’t try to make this style too perfect. The beauty of curls is their messy texture, so embrace it and leave some hair loose around your face if you have layers.

I sometimes find that my curls can be a little knotty and it’s hard to add in neat sections. You can see if Picture 5 above that I use one hand to hold the braid, and the other to separate a section of hair. this makes it easier when adding hair to the braid.

Of course this style works for straight hair too and you can see this Dutch Braided Upstyle in straight hair here.

Have you tried Dutch braids in your curly hair? Let me know any other tutorials you’d like to see on Hair Romance in the comments.

Marisa Anderson February 21, 2013 at 9:45 am

Luv this Dutch braid! Looks absolutely amazing with the wavy/curly hair.

Becky @ Babes in Hairland February 21, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Looks awesome! Love how much thicker your braid is because of your curls. Gorgeous.

Hair Romance February 24, 2013 at 9:08 am

Thanks so much Becky! X

curlywurly February 21, 2013 at 6:34 pm

Lovely braid! I’ve tried most of your styles on my waves/curls. I hardly ever straighten my hair these days, as its too much fuss and I much prefer to try and live with what I have. My waves and curls help to give my fine hair more volume. I agree sometimes I find it hard to section, I’ve found I can get away with more oil or butter in my ends when braiding, helps to smooth my frizzes and knots slip out. I’ve even put in a Deep treatment then braided and washed out that night. I am envious at how “full” and “volumous” your braids always look.

Hair Romance February 24, 2013 at 9:09 am

Thank you! That is such a fantastic idea to braid in a deep treatment! Setting up a home spa for myself one night next week x

Catherine @ bcrueltyfree February 22, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I adore this. My hair is pretty similar in texture to yours, maybe a little less curly, but I think because of my layers (also, it’s super long), I honestly struggle with even just normal braids. I wish I was more skilled with braiding, because this is such a put-together looking style

Hair Romance February 24, 2013 at 9:16 am

Thanks Catherine! Braiding just takes practice, you’ll find it will become easier and faster the more you do it x

Nana Yoshioka February 23, 2013 at 4:49 am

I LOVE dutch braids so much. And they look so good on your curly hair, Christina. Do you have any ideas how to “dress it up” (accessories it)?

Hair Romance February 24, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thanks Nana! You could use small jewelled pins down the centre of the braid, or add a clip or flower to the centre of the braided bun x

Cate February 23, 2013 at 1:48 pm

1) I LOVE this braid
2) Can you please give some tutorials on hair styles for shorter hair, lets say, shoulder length?
3) I LOVE YOU!

Hair Romance February 24, 2013 at 9:26 am

Thanks so much Cate!! Xx I am planning to do a series soon featuring other hair types so stay tuned…x

Sara-May February 24, 2013 at 6:11 pm

This is such a stunning hairstyle, I love the little side-bun, it just gives it some vavavoom. So pretty!

Hair Romance February 24, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Sara-May! Love finding a style that works in curly and straight hair x

joya March 25, 2013 at 12:10 am

awesome.

Hair Romance March 25, 2013 at 7:11 am

Tabet April 17, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Wow! I love it!
I’m not quit sure If I can handle my hair like this, but I’ll try.

Hair Romance April 19, 2013 at 9:25 am

Thanks Tabet!

Nina April 18, 2013 at 5:02 am

Let me tell you something: I live Paris (France) which is known as one of the most fashion cities of the world, and I have never seen such an amazing hairstyle for curly hair. So, thank you and most of all, congratulations! (Curly haired girls are the best) PS: Sorry for my bad english, I hope you’ll understand what I mean!

Hair Romance April 19, 2013 at 9:22 am

Merci beaucoup Nina!! So glad you love curly hair too xx

Michaela May 4, 2013 at 7:27 am

I absolutely loved this- when I did it for school I got so many compliments – this is literally the best site on earth and thank you so much for uploading all these tutorials!

Hair Romance May 4, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thanks so much for trying it Michaela! Xx

Sophia June 7, 2013 at 8:54 am

Your braids always seem so thick and big! My hair is naturally straight and is all virgin so how can i get the braids to get thicker? And the same with buns as well!
Thanks! Sophia