Lace Braid Hairstyle Tutorial

by Hair Romance on February 4, 2013 · 7 comments

in Tutorials

Hair Romance - Lace Braid Hairstyle Tutorial

The Lace Braid is a variation of the French braid where you only add in hair from one side of the braid. This braid is easy to curve and frames your face perfectly.

This is a featured style in my 30 Braids in 30 Days ebook and I was asked to share some braiding tips and a tutorial on SheKnows.com. You can find the instructions for this hairstyle there.

Lace braids are a great style for when you have layers or are growing out your fringe / bangs.

Hair Romance - Lace Braid Ponytail Hairstyle

Hair Romance - Lace Braid Side Ponytail Hairstyle

By wrapping the lace braid around the rest of your hair, you can create this side ponytail hairstyle.

Styling secret

Put your hair in a ponytail first and secure it with a small clear hair elastic. Then wrap your braid around the elastic and pin in place underneath with a bobby pin.

The ponytail hair elastic provides some grip for the braid as it wraps around, and by pushing your bobby pin through the braid and elastic you’ll make a much stronger hairstyle that won’t fall out.

I’d love you to try this lace braid and you can have this hairstyle and more in your pocket with my 30 Braids in 30 Days Hairstyle ebook available here.

Janessa February 4, 2013 at 2:04 pm

This is really pretty and deceivingly simple. :] My hair will one day be long enough for this!

Janessa February 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm

When I first saw a tutorial to wrap a hair with hair (lol) and pin it as a hair tie, my hair came undone and messy. This styling tip is useful, thanks. I’ve recently bought some clear rubber bands just to do my hair with… inspired by you! I forgot about your ebook :o I need to get that too.

Hair Romance February 5, 2013 at 9:22 am

Thanks Janessa! Give it a try and let me know how you go x

Janessa February 5, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I tried it out but my hair’s not long enough to make it have that waterfall style. But I love this look and I’ll be sure to do it when my hair grows out longer.
Is there a way to subscribe for upcoming comments on posts? I forget to check replies because I don’t get an email telling me there was a reply. I’ll try to remember but I apologize if I skip a reply.

Hair Romance February 7, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Hi Janessa, I’m sorry I thought you would see my reply. I think you can tick a box to be notified of follow up comments x

Kaylee April 24, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Im getting really ticked off because it’s coming out looking like crap. What do you mean the “right side?” Does this have anything to do with the fact that I part my hair on the opposite side as you do?

Also, how am I supposed to angle it like you did. It’s so screwed up. Please tell me how do you hair?

Hair Romance April 24, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Hi Kaylee, it took me a while to master this one. When I say the right side, I’m referring to left and right as you look at the photo. I’m braiding from the right side of my head down to my left shoulder, so if you part your hair on the left, you’ll angle the braid down to your right shoulder. You’ll use your right hand only to add in hair to your braid. As you add in hair, don’t pull too tightly as this will give you some flexibility to shape the braid so that it frames your face. Remember to only add in small sections of hair as this braid doesn’t need to be thick. This style looks great in fine or thick hair for that reason. As I said, it took me a while to master this so keep practising. Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions. Christina x