Curly hair tutorial – the French Roll Twist and Pin Hairstyle

Hair Romance - Curly hair and the French Twist and Pin

Looking for an easy hairstyle to keep your curly hair up and out of the way? The French Roll Twist & Pin is perfect for second day curls.

Using the Hair Romance Twist & Pin technique, I wanted to show this hairstyle in curly hair. Often I shoot my tutorials in straight hair but don’t think my hairstyles are just for straight hair. They work just as well in curly hair. The only difference is that it’s easier for me to shoot a tutorial in blowdried hair. The texture of curly hair can really add volume to a simple style.

Hair Romance - French Twist and Pin Tutorial in curly hair

Hair Romance - French Twist and Pin hairstyle in curly hair

This twist on the classic French roll is perfect for school or work when you need your hair to be neat and tidy all day long. It’s will keep your hair up on a hot day and add a few accessories and you’re ready for a night out.

Curly hair tutorial – the French Roll Twist & Pin Hairstyle

Hair Romance hairstyle tutorial - The French Twist and Pin in curly hair

Step-by-step

1. Pin back your bangs, or the front section of your hair. I like a little bit of height but not too much of a bump.
  2. Take a section from each side of your hairline and bring together into a twist at the back of your head.
  3. Twist the section around your finger and pin into a small bun. Pin in place with bobby pins.
  4. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until all your hair is twisted and pinned into a line down the back of your head.

I’ve done five small buns in my hair but you can adjust this to suit your hair thickness and length.

Hair Romance - French Twist and Pin Tutorial for curly hair

I wear this style all the time. It’s great for second day hair and works in wet hair too. It’s my go-to work hairstyle as it keeps your hair out of the way all day.

What’s your go-to style for curly hair?

Comments

1. J9 says

Looks so easy! I have very curly hair and the first day of washing it, my curls look great! But by the second day they’re not good and I always have to put my hair up. But with this style the hair is up and still so pretty! Thank you so much, can’t wait to try it :)

Thank you! I hope you try it and I have more curly hair tutorials to share soon that are perfect for hiding second (or third) day curls x

2. Anna says

When I can’t deal with my hair, or it’s frizzy, or I haven’t washed it, or about a million other reasons, my perfect hair style is to do a twist (like a french braid, but with two pieces) starting at the crown and going along the hairline to the back on each side. At the neck, I either twist the two sections together into a bun, or leave it as a ponytail. When I was younger I would make two small buns out of each side. It’s funny because I always get lots of compliments, but I know it was my desperation hairstyle!

That sounds like a great style Anna, I’m going to give it a try! So often these styles are even better in dirty hair and no-one can tell ;)

3. Britt says

I used this for my Prom and EVERYONE loved my hair!!!! Thanks for the easy steps and super great idea!

4. Sam says

I saw this hairstyle and LOVED it! It looks so pretty. However, when I tried it, I could not get the bobby pins into my hair. My hair is very thick and curly. Is there a certain way I should put the bobby pins in so they don’t stick out and fall out? Thanks!

Hi Sam, yes I use strong hair pins and the trick is not to open them up. If you open the pin you take in too much hair and the pin can’t close. It eventually forces itself out of your hair. Use strong professional quality pins and weave them through the twists. Good luck and let me know how you go! x

Hi Rane, your hair is a LOT longer than mine so it will look different. Another variation that works better in long hair is to braid each section before twisting it into a bun. Try it and let me know how you go x

5. shelley says

This is a great look! I have fairly long straight hair, and this still looked great. I just put each section in an elastic and then teased the small ponytails before twisting them into the buns. Thanks so much!