Curly hairstyle tutorial: The Curly Ponytail

Hair Romance curly hairstyle tutorial - the curly ponytail

For those days when your curls are looking pretty good, but it’s too hot to leave your hair out, a simple ponytail is the solution. But a ponytail is not always that easy in curly hair. By the time you’ve dragged your hair through an elastic it doesn’t look so good anymore.

Let’s face it, how many of us wear a ponytail as a fall-back hairstyle most of the time? But how do you secure your ponytail in place? This simple tool will change how you wear your ponytail.

Hair Romance - hair bungee for curly ponytails

Instead of your regular hair elastic, use a hair bungee to create the perfect ponytail for curly hair.

The bungee wraps around your ponytail so there’s no pulling at your hair. You can make it as tight as you need so you always get the right tension in your ponytail. Hair bungees great for high ponytails and for long hair. I’ve used hair bungees from the Evo Mister Fantastic styling pack for this hairstyle.

Hair Romance curly hair tutorial - the curly bungee ponytail

Curly hairstyle tutorial: The Curly Ponytail

Hair Romance - Bungee Ponytail Hair Tutorial in curly hair

Step-by-step

1. Gather your hair loosely where you want to position your ponytail. A high ponytail is more fun and sporty, while a low ponytail is more classic.
  2. Take your hair bungee and hook one end into the underside of the top of your ponytail. Wind the other end around until it’s tight and hook it in place to secure your ponytail.
  3. Gently loosen the hair above your hair elastic by pulling it out just a little. I like to see the texture of curly hair and think it looks better if you leave this style with a softer, more relaxed finish.

Hair Romance curly hair tutorial - the curly ponytail

See my latest tutorial for curly hair – the double bun here and find more curly hair posts here.

How often do you wear a ponytail?

Comments

1. says

LOVE this idea! I struggle to put my fine, curly hair into a ponytail because the elastic band always pulls the hair too tight…I think the product you’ve just shown might just solve all my bad hair day problems ;)
    Kirsten and Co. recently posted..the week that wasMy Profile

It makes ponytails so much easier! and even better, no tangles trying to remove it at the end of the day! X

2. Sindy says

Would you happen to know if they sell these in Canada? Because this is a dream product I would love to have access to.

3. Renée says

This is amazing! Do you know if these can be found in Canada? I am a gymnastics coach and always need my hair out of my face when I am working but regular ponytails always ruin my curls so if I want to go out after work I have to wash my hair and wait for it to dry which means I am always late! Such a brilliant product. Thanks for sharing!

4. Karen T says

Those hair bungees look perfect for me! I have long (waist length) fine blonde hair and it is difficult to secure when I’m outdoors on a windy day. It’s a hassle to braid given the length but just trying to secure it with hair elastics is a pain, literally!

These would be perfect for you Karen, I can’t imagine trying to pull waist length hair through an elastic

5. P says

So here is where I admit to you (and only you) that we have identical hair. But the problem is between a hideous hair dresser and lack of time, I hated it, put it in a pony tail and hid from it the entire time. Between finally finding a new hair dresser and these bungee ties I am having a mini freak out that my curly hair is actually looking curly. That I can actually have a blow wave that looks decent and oh my god my curls actually become half manageable.

You blow my mind weekly. Love your blog always, thanks for the brilliant posts.

Oh thank you so much! How amazing is it once you can finally wear your hair curly! I know the pain of bad haircuts, and glad you’re getting your curl back xx

6. nasubi says

Where do you buy these bungees in Australia?
    Thanks so much for the curly hair posts. I love the way you show both the front and back of your hair styles.
    Do you put those front curls in a curling iron?
    My hair can look too severe sometimes at the front when I tie it up. Do you have any ideas how to make it more flattering? I know the 20 years old girls do a bit of a twist and pin with the front of the hair (rock and roll style) but it never quite looks the same on me!

7. TigerGirl says

Your hair is GORGEOUS! And so is this hairstyle!!! I will have to try it on my curls too :) God bless XoXo

8. Karen M says

I have to wear my hair in a ponytail for work every day and i hate how the elastics wreck my curls both while my hair is in the ponytail and as i pull it out. On my best curl days putting it up like this is very saddening. I will definitely be trying these very soon. It looks like it will be much easier on my curls. :)

You’ll love these Karen, and you don’t need to wear them too tight if you prefer a looser ponytail too.