Sometimes the simplest hairstyles are the best.
I stopped wearing half-up hairstyles a while ago and I’m not really sure why. They’re the perfect compromise between wearing your hair out and keeping your hair back off your face. I suppose you could just grab a headband but the simplicity of this half-up style appeals to me.
The tutorial is really so easy, but the real tricks are in the styling.
Half-up hairstyle tutorial
There’s not much to this hairstyle tutorial. It only take a few simple steps to achieve:
- Separate the top section of your hair about level with the top of your ears.
- Secure the top section with a hair elastic.
- Wrap a piece of hair around the hair elastic to hide it.
But what really makes a difference are the next few styling tips.
Styling tips for half up hairstyles
- Don’t separate the entire top section of your hair. If you do, you’ll only have a thin section left at the bottom to leave out. You want to create the illusion of having more hair. As you separate the top layer, rather than making a part that is level around your head, curve it up and over your head. This leaves a layer of hair to put up in your elastic, but leaves the majority of your hair out underneath.
- Side wrap your hair around your elastic. The tutorial above shows how to wrap a section of hair from the half-up ponytail around the elastic but I also love this side wrap trick which is shown in the finished style photos. Take a small piece of hair from the side of your head near your ear. Bring it around to your elastic and wrap it around and pin it underneath. By wrapping from the side if adds a bit more polish to this simple style.
- Add a little lift. For a retro feel you can tease at the crown of your head before you start to add a little lift to the half-up ponytail.
- Add an accessory. Cover up your hair elastic with a clip, barrette or bow for a chic fix.
The half-up ponytail looks great in straight or curly hair, and works from medium length to very long hair.
This hairstyle is so easy and practical it has slipped back into my hairstyling wardrobe as a regular weekly favourite. I wear my hair like this when I’ve just washed it, or on the second day. (the top knot comes out for day 3!)
Are you a fan of half-up hairstyles? What’s your favourite trick or accessory for styling them?