Love a braided crown but can’t braid? This quick and easy braid cheat is for you.
One of my all time favourite hairstyles I’ve ever done is this high braided crown tutorial.
I was demonstrating this in my braiding class this week and I realised that for lots of you, it’s just too tricky to do in your own hair. It’s not impossible, but it does require you to change direction a few times and swap hands and that can be a problem.
So I was thinking of ways to fake a crown braid when I came up with this idea – my faux crown braid.
It looks a bit crazy in the middle but the result is pretty cute. PLus it’s really easy to do as you only need to do a basic braid (plait) and there’s no French braiding required.
Faux braided crown hairstyle tutorial
What you need
- 8 hair elastics
- bobby pins
- Part your hair down the middle to split your hair into two equal sections.
- Part each side in the middle, just behind your ear.
- Create four ponytails on the top of your head. This will determine the shape of your crown braid.
- Braid (plait) each ponytail. Secure the end of each braid with a small hair elastic. You will look a bit crazy at this point!
- Stretch out your braids. Gently pull at the sides to stretch out your braids. Try sprinkling some volume powder on your braids to really widen them. This is great for fine hair.
- Create a continuous circle with your four braids. Pin your braid across the top of your head around to your next ponytail. Then continue, pinnig all your braids in place in a circle. Tuck any loose ends underneath.
- This style can be easily customised. Think of the ponytails as the corners of your braid and where you place them will change where your braid sits. You can place it low at the back, or closer to your hairline.
- Depending on how long your hair is, your braids may just reach the next sections, or wrap around two or more sections. Play around and see what works best in your hair.
- Instead of a regular braid, try this with a fishtail braid. I think that would look stunning!
I’d love to see a photo if you try the faux crown braid in your hair. Tag me on Instagram @hairromance and #hairromance.
Can you braid your hair or would you like to see more braid cheats?