I always say that your hair is your best accessory, but what about a hairstyle where your hair is the accessory?
This quick and easy braided headband hairstyle tutorial makes your own hair into a headband.
This style is best suited to long hair, or you can cheat like I have.
How to get long hair fast
The fastest way to long hair is to fake it!
I’ve used clip-in extensions to achieve this look.
They are a really simple trick to get long hair fast – without the wait and maintenance of long hair.
For this tutorial I’ve used Luxy Hair extensions. They kindly sent me some to sample and I’ve been really impressed with them.
I am actually wearing a mixed of two shades: the Dirty Blonde and the Ash Blonde.
The Ash Blonde is too light for my hair to wear alone, but mixed with the Dirty Blonde it creates perfect highlights.
These highlights really help to show the detail in the braid.
Highlight the detail in your hairstyle
So many hairstyles you’ll see on Pinterest also have highlights and that’s why they can look different when you try them in your hair.
If your hair isn’t highlighted, you can use hair extensions to artificially create these highlights just where you need them.
Let me know if you would like to know more about using hair extensions as I have a few more long hair hairstyles coming up soon.
Braided headband hairstyle tutorial
What you need:
- Bobby pins
- Long hair!
- Brush your hair through to remove any knots.
- Pick up a section of hair just behind your left ear – this section will be your braid. Split it into three and create a basic three-strand braid or plait.
- Once you’ve braided that section, hold the end and stretch out the sides. This helps the braid look thicker and have more impact.
- Place the braid across your head and pin the end in place behind your right ear.
And that’s it!
This is a really easy tutorial.
It’s fast and adds such a lovely detail when you’re wearing your hair out.
- Use clip-in extensions – Personally I love the ease of clip-in extensions and would never have permanent extensions.
I have to psych myself up to wash my own hair let alone having to do with all these extra long hair! Even if my hair could grow this long I don’t think I will have the energy to maintain it. Being able to add it in when I want it is the ideal solution.
- Short hair trick – If you want to use your natural hair but it’s not quite long enough for this style, here’s a trick:
Double the braids – create a braid behind each ear. Then create the look of one long headband braid by crossing them over and pinning them together on top of your head. Tuck in the ends and stretch out your braid and it will have the same effect.
- Fishtail it – instead of a regular braid, this style would look stunning with a fishtail braid.
I’d love to see this hairstyle in your hair!
Please tag me on Instagram #hairomance and follow me @hairomance.
PS: Don’t forget you can join the Hair Romance Crew on Facebook where you can ask questions and share your hairstyles too.
What does your hal it look like from the left side?
Hair Romance says
Hi Emalee, you can see both sides in the post – the first pic is of the left side. If you want to completely hide the start & end of the braid, you can pin some hair over the sides xx