This 3D chain link braid as seen at Donna Karan was the most requested tutorial of all the NYFW braid trends. I’ve teamed up with the gorgeous Laura of This Island Life who kindly let me shoot this in her long hair.
We’ve also shot a video tutorial as this 3D braid is a little tricky to master.
Unlike regular four strand braids, this technique creates a rounded, 3D effect. I’ve seen a few other tutorials for the Donna Karan braid (usually two rope braids twisted together) but this is actually how the runway look was created.
I’ve shot a picture tutorial but I really felt that this braid needed a video so you can clearly see the steps. Backstage it took at least two hairstylists per model but you can do this braid at home.
DKNY inspired 3D chain link braid tutorial
What you need:
- 2 clear hair elastics
- Start by splitting your ponytail into 4 equal sections and hold them in your left hand with your palm up.
- Then with your right hand, pick up the 2nd and 4th sections to become the new 1st & 2nd sections, then flip the 1st and 3rd sections to become the 3rd and 4th sections.
- You then repeat the same process from hand to hand. Pick up section 2 and place it between your thumb & forefinger on your left hand and then place section 4 between your forefinger and middle finger. Then section 1 goes between your middle finger and ring finger and section 3 goes between your ring finger and little finger.
- Continue the same technique, picking up sections 2 and 4, then flip your hand over to place sections 1 and 3 in the opposite hand.
- Secure the end of your braid with a small clear elastic and stretch it out gently to emphasise the shape of the braid.
DKNY inspired 3D chain link braid – Video tutorial
- You will need another pair of hands to do this style unless your hair is very long. If you want to DIY, try a side ponytail so that it’s easier to reach.
- If you want to, you can snip out the top hair elastic once your braid is complete.
- I find it easier to talk the steps through while I do this braid to keep track of the technique. Once you’ve practiced a couple of times you’ll get the hang of this style.
- This braid creates a beautiful shape in your hair which would look incredible in a bun too. I wish I’d photographed that in Laura’s hair! Maybe next time…
What did you think of my video tutorial for the 3D chain link braid? I’d love to see this style in your hair, tag me #hairromance on Instagram xx