If you can tie a shoelace, you can do this hairstyle. The double knot bun is super easy and creates a different look to any bun.
The double knot bun is exactly as it sounds. You just knot your hair together to create a super simple updo.
The knot creates a really interesting finish so you can’t quite tell how it was done. This makes your ordinary bun a little more fun.
To do this style, your hair needs to be around the same length as mine or longer. If you want to try this in shorter hair, just do a single knot. Here’s the full hairstyle tutorial.
Double Knot bun tutorial
What you need:
- Bobby pins
- Hairspray (optional)
- Brush your hair before you begin to remove any knots or tangles. Unless of course you have wavy or curly hair – don’t use a brush! You’ll just make your hair frizzy.
- Split your hair into two equal sections at the nape of your neck.
- Tie your hair in a knot. Cross one section over and around the other to create a knot – just like tying a shoelace. Pull it tight against your head.
- Tie your hair in a second knot. On top of the first knot, create another knot in exactly the same way.
- Tuck in the ends. My hair is just long enough so I’ve tucked the ends of my hair in and pinned them in place with bobby pins. If your hair is longer, you can wrap the ends around the bun and then pin them in place.
- Hairspray is optional, but it will help hold any loose pieces in place and help your style to stay.
- For long hair: Instead of tucking your hair in, wrap the ends around the bun to create an outer loop. Pin these sections in place with bobby pins. If you hair is super long, go for a third or fourth knot!
- For curly/wavy hair: Skip the step on using a brush and embrace your natural texture! I bet you won’t need any hairspray as your hair will hold really well in this style.
- For fine / straight hair: If you have beautiful, shiny hair that is impossible to pin in place then hairspray is not optional for you. Give the ends of your hair a spritz before you start this style to give your hair some grip.
I hope you like this tutorial. It’s easy enough to wear to work or school but would be a beautiful updo for an event too.
Let me know if you try it in your hair and I’d love to see a photo – you can tag me #hairromance on Instagram.