Don’t you think every week should be Hair Week?
Cheri of I am Momma Hear Me Roar devotes an entire week to hair on her blog. Last year, encouraged by Cheri, I made my first video hairstyle tutorial. This year I made a new video of a super easy hairstyle that is a regular favourite of mine at the moment – the braided bun.
When I instagrammed this photo and asked if I should do a tutorial there was an overwhelming YES so here goes.
Watch this video to see how I do this style in my hair in under 90 seconds. It really is that quick and easy to do. Even better it’s a great style for “second day” hair. You know when you washed and styled your hair yesterday, but it looks a little slept-on today? No need to restyle, just try this easy upstyle.Click here to watch the embedded video
The braided bun: How to get the look
What you’ll need:
- Brush or comb
- Tiny hair elastic – the little clear plastic ones really are the best as they’re almost invisible in your hair
- Bobby pins
Step by step:
1. Brush your hair to your left side.
2. Split your hair into three equal sections ready to braid.
3. Instead of braiding over, we’ll braid under for this style. Take the right section and place it under the middle section. Then take the left section and place in under the right. When you braid, you’re always bringing the outer section over into the middle. The only difference with this style is bringing the outer section underneath to the middle.
4. Continue braiding all your hair. If your hair is too long (or your arm is too short), hold the braid in your left hand and bring your right hand around to the front to finish the braid.
5. Secure with a small or clear elastic band.
6. Roll the braid upwards on itself to form the bun.
7. Pin in place with bobby pins.
If you have layers or bangs, you can leave them loose or pin them back into the finished upstyle.
Then you’re ready to go!
It sounds like a lot of steps when you write it down, but it’s so easy and looks a lot more complicated than it really is. These are my favourite type of hairstyles. I’m all about simple styles that let you sleep in a little longer in the morning.
Head to I Am Momma Hear Me Roar for more great hair ideas and check out Cheri’s amazing new hairstyle as voted by her readers.
You can find more episodes of Hair Romance TV here and you can subscribe to my YouTube channel here.
Do you like this style? I’d love to make more videos, what hairstyles would you like tutorials for?
Kylie @ Octavia and Vicky says
This is gorgeous AND another style that I can do myself. It was lovely to meet you in person at NNB2012 🙂
p.s. FYI I tried to watch the tutorial but You Tube said “An error occured. Please try again later”
Hair Romance says
Thanks Kylie! So lovely to meet you too x
Would you find checking if you’re still having a problem watching the video? It works on my computer now. Thanks x
LOVE IT!!! I hope there are more tutorial videos to come.
Oh and not at all jealous that you’re in sunny Italy and I’m stuck in rainy London 🙂
Hair Romance says
Thanks Ren! I’m back in cold Sydney now and wishing I was back in Italy too x