Summer is coming to Sydney, I can feel it!
This side braid hairstyle tutorial is going to be a favourite of mine this season.
It’s super simple to do and you can add in fresh flowers or accessories to style it your way.
But there’s one thing:
You need long hair for this hairstyle.
How to create instant highlights in your hair
I’m wearing clip in hair extensions in this tutorial, because there’s no way I could do this in my own hair.
I was kindly sent some extensions to try from Luxy Hair and I’m really impressed with them. I can see myself getting a lot of wear out of these and I like the mix of wefts available in the set.
The secret to these instant highlights is to mix 2 shades together.
I’m wearing a mix of the Dirty Blonde and the Ash Blonde which blend together really naturally with my hair.
Even a few small wefts of a lighter shade can add in highlights to your braid to make it stand out,
Now let’s get to the tutorial.
Summer dreaming side braid hairstyle tutorial
What you need:
- Bobby pins
- Hair elastic
- Flowers are optional!
- Brush your hair through to remove any knots.
- Pick up a section of hair just behind your left ear – this section will be your headband braid. Split it into three and create a basic three-strand braid or plait.
- Once you’ve braided that section, hold the end and stretch out the sides. This helps the braid look thicker and have more impact.
- Place the braid across your head and pin the end in place behind your right ear.
- Gather all of your hair over your left shoulder and split it into three equal sections.
- Braid your hair in a basic 3-strand braid or plait. You could even try a fishtail if you like!
- Stretch out your braid for maximum impact and secure the end with an elastic.
- Add in some flowers for a romantic finish.
This style is fast to do and has major impact.
- Style it your way – I’ve added in some fresh flowers but you could use silk flowers, ribbons or any accessory you like.
- Mermaid style – switch the regular braids for fishtail braids to create a true mermaid style.
- Thick braids – if your hair is fine or you’re struggling to stretch out your braids, sprinkle some volume powder (I love this one and this one) down the centre of your braid and pat it into your hair. Now you can stretch and shape your braid any way you like.
Show me your hair
I love seeing your hairstyles. Tag me in your styles on Instagram #hairromance.
Have fun with your hair xx
Wow, this looks so beatiful!!??
Where do you get inspiration for this post, but also for other post?
Ooh! I’m getting extensions next week, I can’t wait to try this one out!! Think I’ll add some holly for a Christmas party coming up ?
Also, I’ve been using your 30 Days of twists and pins for the last six years for work styles and I always get such amazing compliments! Your braid tutorials were the first I’ve come across that didn’t utterly confuse the heck out of me. Thanks for saving me from a boring old top knot! ?
This looks soo good, especially with the flowers!!
Hair Romance says
thanks so much, Clare! It was a last minute thought and glad it turned out so well xx