Balayage and ombre hair colour is still on trend and is the perfect way to dip into colouring your hair.
Balayage describes the freehand colour painting technique where highlights (and sometimes lowlights) and applied to your hair. Ombre hair colour describes a particular style of balayage which shows a distinct colour gradation.
This type of hair colour is low maintenance. It works with your natural colour and won’t show a harsh regrowth line. This means you don’t need to run to the hairdresser every four weeks for touch ups.
It doesn’t mean that you won’t need to step up your hair care routine to look after your newly lightened locks. I’m frequently asked how to care for balayage hair colour as the blonde shades tend to dry out your hair.
I recommend weekly conditioning treatments and using hair oils. I think all hair (except super fine hair) benefits from using hair oils. Here are my top five best hair oils for balayage hair.
Top 5 best hair oils for balayage hair
1. Moroccanoil Light Oil Treatment – One of the original argan oil products on the market, it’s a classic and a favourite of mine. If your hair is fine or very blonde, try the light oil. Available here.
2. Schwarzkopf Professional BC Bonacure Oil Miracle Finishing Treatment – This oil absorbs quickly in my hair and tames my frizz. Also available in light for fine hair, this oil nourishes and smooths those frazzled strands. Available here.
3. Kerastase Elixir Ultime The Imperial – Specially formulated for coloured hair, this oil smells divine and feels luxurious on my hair. It combines tea antioxidants with nourishing argan, camellia and pracaxi oils to strengthen and protect your hair. Available here.
4. David Babaii Miracle Oil – this oil blends a whole lot of ingredients (including immortelle essential oil, pequi fruit, acai, Brazilian nut oil, sweet almond oil, and argan oil) but leaves out sulphates, parabens, petrochemicals and silicone. It will revive your overprocessed locks. Available here.
5. Macadamia Natural Oil Luxurious Oil Treatment – not only does this oil blend nourishes my hair, it also provides natural UV sun protection. The light formula nurtures your damaged hair and brings back the shine. Available here and here.
How to use hair oils
- Use oils sparingly – a little goes a long way
- Apply hair oils to the ends of your hair, then comb or run your fingers through the rest of your hair
- Use hair oils in damp hair after washing but before styling your hair
- Warm up a few drops of hair oil in your hands and then smooth down dry hair
Do you use hair oils?
Best I have ever used is the Karmin 😉
I love my Moroccan Oil! I’ve also got the Dove serum and that works surprisingly well considering its price.
I tend to use too much though and my hair gets the oily look! Still perfecting the moderation 🙂
argan oil is amazing for hair, I have Pro Naturals Moroccan Argan Oil which I found to be higher quality and it’s done the job really well! I understand what the fuss is all about now 🙂
I love a hair oil, great for taming dry hair and leaves it feeling so soft and manageable.
My fave is still Moroccan Oil, however L’Oreal’s new one is doing well so far.