5 ways to wear a scarf and top knot – 1 – Twist tie

by Hair Romance on April 18, 2012 · 17 comments

in Headscarf,My Hair,Tutorials

Scarves + top knots = hairstyle fun!

Here’s the first hairstyle in my series of five simple ways to wear a scarf with your top knot.

How to get the look

Start with a giant top knot. You can find a top knot tutorial here that works even if you don’t have a lot of hair.

Fold your scarf. I used a scarf approx 80cm square and folded it diagonally. Then fold the end in until you have a long strip about 5 cm wide.

Wrap the scarf around your top knot, centre it at the back and twist it at the front. Bring the ends behind your top knot and tie at the back.

I admit I have an obsession with top knots. This hairstyle is a weekly favourite so I like to use a scarf to change the look so I don’t get bored with the same top knot.

Check out the other ways to wear a scarf and a top knot:

The sash
The knot headband
Retro bow headband
Put a bow on it

30 Buns in 30 Days

Wear buns in a new way every day with my 30 Buns in 30 Days ebook.

In this ebook you’ll learn 35+ bun hairstyles for all occasions.

I show you how to do each style in your own hair plus there are clear written instructions for every look.

With my ebook on your phone so it’s like having Hair Romance in your pocket when you get ready in the morning.

You’ll learn my easy hairstyling tips and tricks to get rid of bad hair days for good.

Get your copy now

Purchase 30 Buns in 30 Days

Maribeth April 18, 2012 at 7:08 am

You now have me obsessed with top knots as well :) (I accomplished my first successful one this weekend after I followed your tutorial). Now I *need* to add a scarf- how awesome! I love it! PS I wish I could pull off the red lip like you have here in these pics! Every time I try, it just doesn’t look “right”….your coloring is perfect!
Maribeth recently posted..New Sally Hansen Diamond Strength Nail Polish "Ring-A-Ding!"(Pictures)My Profile

Hair Romance April 18, 2012 at 10:56 am

Yay, thanks for trying the tutorial Maribeth. I used to be nervous of red lipsticks and now I feel bare if I’m not wearing a bright lip! This is NARS heat wave, an orange-y red. It takes a bit of testing but you can find the shade that suits you.

Lejla April 18, 2012 at 7:25 am

Love it :)
Lejla recently posted..Five things that made my day todayMy Profile

Hair Romance April 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thanks Lejla x

Miki April 18, 2012 at 8:21 am

It looks adorable! I so want to go and find the perfect scarf now, haha!
Miki recently posted..Let’s party with Chantilly!My Profile

Hair Romance April 18, 2012 at 10:53 am

Thanks Miki x

TheUrbanMum April 18, 2012 at 12:11 pm

So Frenchy, so Chic. A top knot and a silk scarf, gorgeous combination.

Love this look, and your blog. I shall return. X
TheUrbanMum recently posted..vitality – the best tonic for ageing well…oh and good nails & hair help too…My Profile

Hair Romance April 18, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Thank you! I do love a silk scarf and I have four more styles coming up this week and next.

Michaela April 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’ve been top-knotting it all week because of the rain. So trying this one tomorrow!
Michaela recently posted..Australis Double Decker Eyeshadow Duo in Supernova CasanovaMy Profile

Hair Romance April 18, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Me too! A top knot if perfect in rainy weather. You’ll have to tweet a pic if you try it tomorrow x

Corinne April 18, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I have the same scarf!! I like wearing it as a headband, knotted turban-style at the front. I love this look though – wish my hair was long/big enough to do it! :)

Hair Romance April 18, 2012 at 5:15 pm

You might have guessed the third way to wear it! I love scarf headbands. Check out my top knot tutorial as my bun is all padding. I don’t have that much hair either!

maria April 19, 2012 at 4:35 am