Knots in your hair aren’t usually what you want but this style might change your mind.
This style was inspired by a reader’s take on my knotted half up hairstyle tutorial. I loved her version and asked her if I could shoot a tutorial for this look.
This hairstyle could be mistaken for a braid, but it’s simply a series of knots. It’s super quick to do as well. Try this style today!
Easy knotted hairstyle tutorial
What you’ll need:
- Small hair elastic
- Bobby pins
- Brush your hair to remove any knots. Although we’re adding in knots, we don’t want any to begin with.
- Take a large section at the top and split it into two. Tie these together in a knot.
- Add in hair from either side to your original sections and tie into a knot below the first knot.
- Repeat down the back of your head until all your hair is combined in the knots.
- Secure the end with a small hair elastic.
- Roll up your ponytail and tuck it under. Pin in place with bobby pins.
- If your hair is long – continue knotting your hair down your ponytail. Twist your hair up and around into a bun. Pin in place with bobby pins. You could also leave your ponytail out or take it diagonally into a side braid.
- Stretch out your knots to emphasise the shape of your updo.
- You may need a few extra bobby pins to pin the knots in place. It will depend on your hair and how much is slips out of place.
- If you find your hair keeps slipping, spray it with dry shampoo or a texture spray to help it to stay in place.
Do you ever tie knots in your hair? Would you try this hairstyle and where would you wear it?